Friday, November 18, 2011

Daily Rituals: What puts you at your Master’s feet?

Today, in our hectic, extremely busy lives, it can be very easy to lose our direction to the place that we find the most happiness – our Master’s feet. When I think of being at my Master’s feet, I think of the things that feed me, ground me, and give me courage in areas needed to successfully serve Him on a daily basis. I also think of it being the part of us that replenishes newness to the connection between Him and me. What puts you at your Master’s feet? For me,
it is the daily rituals that are essential to place me emotionally, psychologically, and at times physically at His feet.

Even when mandated by your Master, daily rituals can be monotonous and ordinary if we do them in a routinely way. Creating peacefulness and gratefulness as you do your daily rituals of sipping your morning cup of coffee or tea, reading a book that helps you grow in a new service, writing a letter of invitation for a dinner hosted by your Master, posting an entry into a journal or simply meditating about your life's journey with your Master can help you start out with the right mindset each day.

While you are creating this peacefulness and gratefulness think of why you are doing the steps you are taking each day instead of allowing them to become habits or just routines – let them become the rituals your Master intended. Unlike habits or routines, which may be ingrained but carry no emotional meaning, a ritual is described as "a defined series of actions that helps us transform from one emotional state to another."

The truth is the only way you will become a crackerjack in your daily rituals is to stay consistent and to also know that the reason you do them is to serve and honor your Master. In staying consistent, you surround yourself with little reminders that compel you to be faithful to serving your Master in the way that pleases Him most.

Some may state that the submissive could have created the ritual herself or that having a cup of coffee in the morning before starting your day is not really a ritual but more of a routine. The difference is that when a ritual is mandated by your Master it has extra strength and value. For that reason the submissive knows and feels that her personally performing the requested rituals will be pleasing to her Master. Rituals also help to remind both the Master and the submissive of the place each has in the relationship.

You also may hear or feel that a true Master will never have to demand ritual behavior from their submissives. Their submissive responds to them out of the want of pleasing them. I feel that a submissive needs a clear understanding of her Master's requirements and expectations if she is to meet or, hopefully, exceed them. Setting her on a positive and informed path of taking care of her daily needs while completing His desires and goals always sets a submissive up for success versus failure because she is fumbling on trying to figure out what her Master’s goals are. Furthermore, she would need to know if changes were needed to ensure that she does not fail because she is following the original set of instructions. (On a side note, starting a ritual and then forgetting it or stopping it is emotionally difficult for most submissives.)

If you are like me, if I let my day begin with just me, I run along smoothly and I can trust I will be productive because of who I am. However, not focusing on my Master’s expectations of me and what is needed to reach His goals for the day may still leave me productive but only in my serving myself instead of Him. The majority of the time this leaves me blindly “doing” and less at His feet, unaccomplished and at times very tired. I end up putting more energy and effort into “doing” and forcing a check mark on my To Do List then enjoying serving my Master. Not much contentment there. Too many days like that and my heart and mind will ache to be at my Master’s feet because of the slackness in my serving Him.

What puts you at your Master’s feet?

Daily rituals are a true way of finding your way to your Master’s feet. They create balance for you and assist in connecting you to Him on a daily basis. If you do not already have daily rituals, start the conversation by asking for permission to speak freely to Him about what His expectations are of you on a daily basis. Together, or Him alone, take those expectations (rules) and turn them into rituals for you to follow.

Submissively following the rituals given by your Master you will find yourself emotionally, psychologically, and at times physically at your Master's feet – filling your need to please and serve Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment